Ingredients: Clove, Helichrysum, Peppermint, Wintergreen
Uses: Pain relief
Price per drop: $0.32
Unlike the other oils I’ve profiled so far, PanAway is a special blend that can only be found with Young Living. Gary Young, founder of Young Living, created PanAway to provide natural pain relief after sustaining a ligament injury in his leg. As this is a very “young” blend, there isn’t really any other historical information to provide on PanAway specifically. However, we can easily research the background of the different oils included in the PanAway blend.
- Cloves: Evidence of clove trading has been discovered as far back as the 18th century BC! Historically, cloves were often used in dentistry as they are a local anesthetic. Additionally, they have antibacterial and anti-parasitic properties, as well as many others, and were also used for anything from digestive issues to bad breath.
- Helichrysum: Historically, this flower was used as an anti-inflammatory, as well as for treating wounds, coughs, colds, headaches, and more. It was viewed by some African tribes as a powerful aphrodisiac and was burned as ritual incense.
- Peppermint: Here is a previous post I’ve written on Peppermint that includes its history.
- Wintergreen: This plant has been called “nature’s aspirin”. Native Americans are said to have brewed the leaves into a tea with which they treated headache, sore throat, and any other aches or pains.
PanAway was formulated specifically to provide powerful, natural pain relief. Uses for PanAway include muscle soreness, headache, backache, menstrual cramps, and more! Some users report that it can help to prevent bruising if applied quickly. Additionally, PanAway may help to relieve chronic pain associated with arthritis or fibromyalgia. To use, dilute in a carrier oil and apply topically. Massaging the oil in or using a warm compress may speed and boost effectiveness.
These cautions apply to any form of self treatment, including Essential Oils. Additionally, the following cautions apply to PanAway specifically:
- PanAway is a very powerful blend and needs to be well diluted before application, especially if used on children. I would not recommend using PanAway on babies or small children for this reason.
- Even when diluted, PanAway produces a sensation similar to that of Icy Hot. Be aware of this and take care not to get it near the eyes. Additionally, spot testing before a larger application would be a good idea.
- Most or all of the oils in PanAway (clove and wintergreen in particular) are incredibly potent and can be toxic in small doses. Do not take this oil internally, and be sure to keep it away from children. 1-2 teaspoons of clove oil can be fatal to a small toddler, and 1 ounce of wintergreen is reportedly equal to over 170 adult aspirin. Again, be sure to heavily dilute just a drop or two of PanAway prior to application.
PanAway can be a great alternative to over-the-counter drugs like Tylenol, Motrin, or Aspirin, especially for individuals who have chronic pain that requires frequent medication, or for those who experience unpleasant side effects from conventional pain relief. This oil definitely earns its place in Young Living’s Premium Starter Kit and is an asset to any natural medicine cabinet!
If you are new to Essential Oils and/or want more information on getting started, click here!